Daily Practice for 15 Aug 18Posted: August 15, 2018
Early morning breath work and meditation: Today we venture into the Practice of breath work, or “pranayama” as it’s known in the yoga and meditation world. While there are numerous benefits to breath work in the energy/metaphysical world, we will focus on the physical and mental benefits such as:
- Improved oxygenation of the blood
- Increased focus and energy
- Helps create balance in body and mind
There are many more benefits and reasons, but at the end of the day, I just ask you trust the process and just do the work!
Here is the practice for today which is known as “alternate nostril breathing”. Ideally, this would be done first thing in the morning, shortly after awakening. If that isn’t an option, just do it when possible. Anytime of day is better than not doing it.
- Sit as in meditation and quiet your mind for a few moments.
- Bring your awareness to your breath
- After an exhale, use your thumb to close off your left nostril and breath in only through your right nostril.
- After the full inhale, close off your right nostril and exhale only through your left nostril.
- After the full exhale, inhale through your left nostril.
- Close off your left nostril and exhale through your right nostril.
- This is one round. Continue for a total of 10 rounds.
- After 10 rounds, sit quietly and just breath naturally for a few moments. This concludes the session.
Strength and Conditioning:
- Thruster X 10 @ challenging weight. Click HERE for a demo of the Thruster. This movement can be done with a barbell, dumbells, or even exercise bands.
- Pull Up X 10. If you do not have access to a pull up bar or are not able to do pull ups, sub with Lat Pulldowns X 15
- Sit Up X 15
- Rest only when necessary
Rest approximately 2:00 and then…
- Walking Lunge X 10 each leg. Only use weight if you feel you aren’t challenged enough.
- Hindu Push Up X 10
- Russian Twist X 15 each side
- Rest X 1:00
Finish the session with 5:00 of stretching, mobility and/or foam rolling.